Friday, January 10, 2014

Let's start again.

I had been resistant and rebellious in starting a blog of any sort, because I always thought it was rather egotistical to think that people would want to read anything from a random person. I find myself spending so much time on a computer at work and at home, I think that it was only a matter of time before I started to blog. I studied English Literature in college. Reading and writing is a great love that I had growing up. Some of my best times growing up was when my dad took me and my sister to the library. I enjoyed wandering through the aisles, looking through the shelves at old books, and wondering what they could all be about. In college, I wrote a lot. I had to. I chose Literature as a major, because I thought, “Hey, I like reading and writing. Why don’t I study what I like to do anyway? Then become a teacher or something.” Needless to say, it didn’t work out that way. I’ve had a series of jobs that have had nothing to do with my studies. My coursework and numerous rejections (professional and literary) burned me out of writing for a long time. Oh, sure. I’ve had some great ideas; a few good plotlines; even a growing novel. None of that helped, because they’re all in my head or on a scrap of paper somewhere in my house. A question that my wife asks me, now and then, to infuriate me (I think) is: “Why don’t you write like you used to do?” That gets me. It gets me right in the heart, because I don’t have a verbal answer. All I have is that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that says, You haven’t done anything. It hurts. So, I am writing this blog to give myself a deadline, a tangible goal that I can complete. I’ll attempt to post something of value every week. Hopefully, it won’t be too random. I will share my thoughts, writings, photos, critiques, and reviews. Muses, let's start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment